• Explore
    • Nature
    • Culture
    • Food
    • Family
    • Activity
    • Blog
    Smoke sauna
    Weather and seasons
  • Plan
    • Accommodation
    • How to get here
    • Weather and seasons
    • Sustainability
    • Tourist info
    Discover South Estonia’s Most Beautiful Manors and Castles
    Top 20 Sights in South Estonia
  • For professionals
    • For professionals
    • Collaboration
    • News
    • Projects
    • Training
    • Repository
    • Community (opens in new tab)
    • Contacts
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
Popular searches:
Show all
  • History & Culture
  • Architecture and history
  • Churches

St Michael’s Lutheran Church in Räpina

Võhandu tn 11, Räpina vald, Põlva maakond, 64504

This church, dedicated to the archangel Michael, was completed in 1785. It stands on the shores of a man-made lake in Räpina and enjoys beautiful views over Sillapää castle and park. The walls of the church, which was constructed in Late Baroque style, are made from rendered natural stone. The front of the church is adorned with sculptures dating from the time of its construction, which symbolise Hope and Love.One of the church’s most valuable assets, the two-part altar painting entitled ‘The Appearance of the Risen Jesus to Mary Magdalene’ and ‘The Burial of Jesus’, was painted by Carl Antropoff in 1871.

Amenities

  • Free parking

Open times

1. juuni - 31. aug

T-L12:00 - 16:00
P10:00 - 12:30

1. sept - 31. mai

Eeltellimsel

Contact

  • +372 5663 1795
  • rapina@eelk.ee

Links

See more

  • Churches

Puhja St Dionysus Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

The medieval Gothic church is located on the ancient Pirita–Vastseliina pilgrim route. The white walls of the sanctuary are characterised by narrow and high round arched windows and beautiful relief motifs on the western façade.The organ used in Puhja Church is a rarity throughout Europe. It is estimated that only 10 other similar organs have survived. Those who wish can also go to see the spire or visit the church museum of Puhja parsonage.Good to know:The church participates in the Wayfarers Churches and the Night of Churches programmes.Worship every Sunday at 11 a.m. The church can also be visited by prior arrangement.

  • Churches

Otepää Winter Church

The Winter Church is located in a converted auxiliary building of the old church manor and is used mostly in the winter period. It is a small and cosy church that was built largely with the money donated from Finland. The church was consecrated on 6 December 1992 – the Independence Day of Finland. The consecrated name of the winter church is the Widow and Orphan Chapel. It is dedicated to widows because they were the ones who kept the church alive with their small salaries in the Soviet times. The blue, black and white flag of the Estonian Student Union, which later became the national flag and in 1991 the official flag of the state of Estonia, was consecrated in the rectory of the church next to it

  • Churches

Memorial Tablet of the Northern Sons of Finland

A black granite memorial tablet bearing almost 200 names was installed on the wall of the Valga Jaani (St John’s) Church in 1934 in remembrance of the Finnish volunteers who fell in the Paju Battle of the War of Independence. The polar bear sign of the Northern Sons Regiment is shown on the shield above the stone. In 1940 the memorial tablet was demolished with pickaxes by the order of communists. The memorial tablet was reopened on the 80th anniversary of the Paju Battle in 1999.Interesting facts: * the memorial tablet was opened in 1934 by President Konstantin Päts; * the first table was made in Finland and the second one in Tartu; * donations for the second tablet were collected by Ylistaro Rural Municipality (Finland) at the initiative of Ossi Salo.

  • Churches

Nõo Holy Trinity Church of the Estonian Apostolic Orthodox Church

There is a remarkable historicist Orthodox church with quarrystone and brick walls and five onion-cupolas in Nõo small borough.The Nõo Congregation was founded in 1852 for Estonian Orthodox Christians who previously belonged to the Tartu Georgi congregation. The architecturally remarkable church is made of quarrystone and red bricks and has a bell-tower in the western side. It was completed in 1873. The interior architecture of the church is simple and the iconostasis dates back to the late 19th century.Services are held in the Holy Trinity Church in Nõo on the second Saturday of each month.

  • Churches

St Zachariah’s and St Elizabeth’s Orthodox Church in Räpina

St Zachariah’s and St Elizabeth’s Orthodox Church in Räpina is a neo-Classical oblong building consisting of three parts. In the Western part there is a bell tower and in the Eastern part a crescent-shaped apsis. A cupola with a tambour is in the middle of the building. The exterior of the building is in classical style, incorporating cornices and rustic work. Simple iconostasis of the 19th century catches the eye in the interior.

  • Churches

Tartu Saint George the Martyr Church of the Russian Apostolic Orthodox Church

An orthodox congregation was established in Tartu in 1845 and Priest Joosep Shestakovski (1856–1888) initiated the building of an orthodox church. Tartu Saint George the Martyr Church was built using donations from the congregation and it was consecrated in honour of Saint George by Bishop of Riga and Mitav Benjamin in 1870.

  • Churches

Tõrva Church – Chamber Hall

The Helme-Tõrva Apostolic Orthodox Church of the Birth of Christ was built in Valga Street in the years 1903 to 1904. Karl Shurin was in charge of the building work. The two domes and bell tower made the church one of the most imposing churches in the Viljandi Apostolic Orthodox Deanery. The church was seriously damaged during the fierce battles fought in September 1944 and it was only restored in 1990 as a chamber hall.Interesting facts: * the church was also used for salt and cement storage during the Soviet times; * the church-chamber hall currently belongs to the Lutheran church.

  • Churches

St Bartholomew’s Church in Palamuse

Palamuse Church is one of the oldest medieval churches in northern Tartu County. The church was first mentioned in documents in 1234. As a fortress church, it provided protection from invaders during wars. There is a burial ground around the church, which has two preserved headstones. The unique wooden sculptures on the altar and pulpit date back to 1696. There is a dry-stone painting on the eastern outer wall. Services are held in the church every Sunday at 11 a.m. The church also organises concerts and plays.

  • Collaboration
  • News
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
Join our mailing list!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
I authorise marketing

South Estonia Tourism Cluster

info@visitsouthestonia.com