• Explore
    • Nature
    • Culture
    • Food
    • Family
    • Activity
    • Blog
    Smoke sauna
    Weather and seasons
  • Plan
    • Accommodation
    • How to get here
    • Weather and seasons
    • Sustainability
    • Tourist info
    Discover South Estonia’s Most Beautiful Manors and Castles
    Top 20 Sights in South Estonia
  • For professionals
    • For professionals
    • Collaboration
    • News
    • Projects
    • Training
    • Repository
    • Community (opens in new tab)
    • Contacts
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
Popular searches:
Show all
  • History & Culture
  • Architecture and history
  • Churches

Nõo St Lawrence Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

Tartu tn 2, Nõo vald, Tartu maakond, 61601

In Nõo, you can visit the only rural church with genuine medieval arches (13th century) in Southern Estonia. The church has a wooden tower (1879) and pseudo-gothic furnishings from the 19th century. You will see the altar painting Christ on the Cross by Tõnis Grenzstein from 1895, four wooden sculptures of apostles (Jaan Koort, 1910), two organs – Walcker (large, 1890) and Müllverstedt (small, 1903), and the bust of Martin Lipp (1854–1923), a long-time teacher of the congregation and the author of the lyrics of the song of the Estonian flag.In the summer months, Nõo Church participates in the Estonian Council of Churches’ Wayfarers’ Churches project.Services take place every Sunday at 11 a.m.

Amenities

  • Information boards
  • Free parking

Open times

Throughout the Year

P10:00 - 12:30

Contact

  • +372 5661 1443
  • mart.jaanson@eelk.ee

Links

See more

  • Churches

St John’s Lutheran Church in Kanepi

St John’s Church is an eye-catching building; its architect was Friedrich Siegel. There is an altar painting Christ on the Cross (A. Bauer, 1857) and a pseudo-Gothic altar, and two nationally protected wooden candlesticks (1810) and an armchair from the birch wood dating from the 18th century. On top of the spire there is a morning star. Interesting to know: St John’s Church in Kanepi was built in 1804-1810 to replace the old wooden church. In 1831 the church was set on fire by lightning. The church in Kanepi has been in its current state since the year 1877.

  • Churches

Ritsiku church in Mõniste

Of the Orthodox churches in Võru County, Ritsiku church in Mõniste is the second oldest (dating back to 1855). The oldest is St Catherine's Church in Võru itself.The church in Ritsiku was consecrated in the name of the prophet John the Baptist. Its name day is celebrated by the congregation every year on 24 June.The congregation was established in 1837. The church was constructed from timber and has a tin roof. It was originally known as Mõniste church, since it was located on the lands of the Mõniste estate. But since it was not in Mõniste itself, it was renamed Ritsiku church in Mõniste.The sacristan and parson did a lot of work in educating the local community. Until 1931 the congregation had its own parish school and three smaller schools.

  • Churches

St Zachariah’s and St Elizabeth’s Orthodox Church in Räpina

St Zachariah’s and St Elizabeth’s Orthodox Church in Räpina is a neo-Classical oblong building consisting of three parts. In the Western part there is a bell tower and in the Eastern part a crescent-shaped apsis. A cupola with a tambour is in the middle of the building. The exterior of the building is in classical style, incorporating cornices and rustic work. Simple iconostasis of the 19th century catches the eye in the interior.

  • Churches

Tartu St Alexander’s Church of the Estonian Apostolic Orthodox Church

Come and take a look at the two-storey St Alexander’s Church in Tartu with its onion domes inspired by old Russian church architecture (architect Vladimir Lunski). Construction of the church started in 1914 and it was re-consecrated in 2003. Interesting facts: - a zinc box with the remains of a saint and a copper plate with a letter have been placed in the cornerstone of Tartu Alexander’s Church. The cornerstone was put in place by Archbishop Ioann during the reign of Emperor Nicholas II on 27 May 1914; - the church was nationalised in 1940 and it was used as a storage building by the University of Tartu and the Estonian National Museum.

  • Churches

St Michael’s Lutheran Church in Räpina

This church, dedicated to the archangel Michael, was completed in 1785. It stands on the shores of a man-made lake in Räpina and enjoys beautiful views over Sillapää castle and park. The walls of the church, which was constructed in Late Baroque style, are made from rendered natural stone. The front of the church is adorned with sculptures dating from the time of its construction, which symbolise Hope and Love.One of the church's most valuable assets, the two-part altar painting entitled 'The Appearance of the Risen Jesus to Mary Magdalene' and 'The Burial of Jesus', was painted by Carl Antropoff in 1871.

  • Churches

Obinitsa Church and Cemetery

Obinitsa Church was built deep in the Soviet era: 1952, when the country was led by Comrade Stalin. The people's desire for a new sanctuary (the old church was given to the school) was so great, that it bypassed the politics of the day. The Obinitsa Church's main holiday is 19 August - The Feast of the Transfiguration - and thousands of people visit the church that day to remember their ancestors and spend time with a relatives. People have been buried in Obinitsa Cemetery for at least 1,500 years. The oldest burials are marked by small stones located in the western part of the cemetery. The well-known Seto singer Hilana Taarka and the creator of the Obinitsa Museum, Lidia Sillaots, are buried in this park-like cemetery.

  • Churches

Rajaküla Old Believers’ Worship House

It is believed that the Raja congregation of Old Believers was established in the first quarter of the 18th century. The congregation was given permission to build its own church only in 1879. The church was destroyed during the Second World War – the only thing left is the belfry. The present worship house has 11 rooms. In 1854–1930 Gavriil Frolov lived in the worship house. He taught children icon-writing, reading and writing in Old-Slavic, also singing based on old musical notation.

  • Churches

St. Nicholas’ church, Põltsamaa

This Lutheran church, originally constructed on a bastion and the town's walls, was restored from its war-time ruins 50 years ago. Its altar, pulpit, lights and tower bells (XIX) are from the now defunct University of Tartu church.

  • Collaboration
  • News
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
Join our mailing list!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
I authorise marketing

South Estonia Tourism Cluster

info@visitsouthestonia.com