
This Lutheran church, originally constructed on a bastion and the town’s walls, was restored from its war-time ruins 50 years ago. Its altar, pulpit, lights and tower bells (XIX) are from the now defunct University of Tartu church.








This Lutheran church, originally constructed on a bastion and the town’s walls, was restored from its war-time ruins 50 years ago. Its altar, pulpit, lights and tower bells (XIX) are from the now defunct University of Tartu church.

Of the Orthodox churches in Võru County, Ritsiku church in Mõniste is the second oldest (dating back to 1855). The oldest is St Catherine's Church in Võru itself.The church in Ritsiku was consecrated in the name of the prophet John the Baptist. Its name day is celebrated by the congregation every year on 24 June.The congregation was established in 1837. The church was constructed from timber and has a tin roof. It was originally known as Mõniste church, since it was located on the lands of the Mõniste estate. But since it was not in Mõniste itself, it was renamed Ritsiku church in Mõniste.The sacristan and parson did a lot of work in educating the local community. Until 1931 the congregation had its own parish school and three smaller schools.

It is believed that the Raja congregation of Old Believers was established in the first quarter of the 18th century. The congregation was given permission to build its own church only in 1879. The church was destroyed during the Second World War – the only thing left is the belfry. The present worship house has 11 rooms. In 1854–1930 Gavriil Frolov lived in the worship house. He taught children icon-writing, reading and writing in Old-Slavic, also singing based on old musical notation.

You will find this historicist red-brick church (architect Arved Eichorn), which is the first new church built in the Republic of Estonia, in the peaceful little town Elva. Tartu St John’s Congregation used to operate in Elva for some time. This is why some details of the Elva Church remind of Tartu St John’s Church – the rarely used plaster and brick imitation of a rose window on the western wall of the church refers to the medieval rose window that can be found in Tartu St John’s Church.

The Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Põlva is one of the oldest churches in historical Võrumaa. The rarities of the church are the old altar painting The Last Supper (1650) and the altar panels (1647). There is an altar painting The Resurrection (Friedrich Ludwig von Maydell, 1845). The church was originally a square-shaped hall church with three naves. Today it has preserved from it a high tower with a deep niche and a Western façade. Interesting to know: According to a legend, the key of the church is held by a kneeling girl called Mary who is walled in. Allegedly that is also the origin of the name of the church and Põlva (‘knee’ for the Estonian ‘põlv’).

Karula Church has been working in the converted manor granary since 1997. The most special feature of the church is the stained glass painting 'Eucharist' of Estonian artist Dolores Hoffmann which depicts local people as the disciples against the background of the holly landscape of Karula.The doors of the Karula Church are open to visitors during Sunday services. Please contact a representative of the congregation if you wish to visit the church some other time. Interesting facts: • The same building was used as an animal barn during the Soviet times. • The stained glass painting was donated to Karula Church by the descendants of the German squires the von Grotes.

Laiuse Church was first mentioned in 1319. It was destroyed during the Livonian War, the Polish–Swedish War, and the Great Northern War, but it was re-built. The church, which originally was a hall-church with three naves and no tower, is built from local limestone and its corners are made from large limestone dry-stones. The tower, which was destroyed in World War II, was restored in 1970. The building was restored in 2000–2001.The church organises a lot of concerts and services are held every Sunday at 1 p.m.

Palamuse Church is one of the oldest medieval churches in northern Tartu County. The church was first mentioned in documents in 1234. As a fortress church, it provided protection from invaders during wars. There is a burial ground around the church, which has two preserved headstones. The unique wooden sculptures on the altar and pulpit date back to 1696. There is a dry-stone painting on the eastern outer wall. Services are held in the church every Sunday at 11 a.m. The church also organises concerts and plays.

This historicist-style church is built from red and yellow bricks and has five domes and a bell tower. It is one of the four representative churches of the Apostolic Orthodox Church in Estonia. The church is named after the priest martyr Isidore of Tartu. The church was built in 1897–1898 and was consecrated in 1898. The architect of the building is Vladimir Lunski.The church was built in 1896 for the congregation of Orthodox Russians and Latvians.