• Explore
    • Nature
    • Culture
    • Food
    • Family
    • Activity
    • Blog
    Smoke sauna
    Weather and seasons
  • Plan
    • Accommodation
    • How to get here
    • Weather and seasons
    • Sustainability
    • Tourist info
    Discover South Estonia’s Most Beautiful Manors and Castles
    Top 20 Sights in South Estonia
  • For professionals
    • For professionals
    • Collaboration
    • News
    • Projects
    • Training
    • Repository
    • Community (opens in new tab)
    • Contacts
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
Popular searches:
Show all
  • History & Culture
  • Architecture and history
  • Churches

The Liphardt tomb chapel

Võru vald, Võru maakond, 65223

The Vastseliina manor chapel, popularly called the Liphardt tomb chapel, is situated in the old cemetery of Vastseliina (also known as the German cemetery). The chapel was completed in the same year as the current Vastseliina church, in 1772.The Liphardts, one of the wealthiest noble families of Livonia, governed the entire Vastseliina parish from Misso to Orava and ruled Vastseliina for seven generations. In addition to Vastseliina, the family also owned several other manors, including the Raadi manor.The Vastseliina manor chapel is one of the most remarkable examples of early classicist rural chapels.Visitors are welcome to see the exterior of the chapel only.

Amenities

  • Free parking

Open times

1. jaan - 31. dets

Around the Clock

Links

See more

  • Churches

Rajaküla Old Believers’ Worship House

It is believed that the Raja congregation of Old Believers was established in the first quarter of the 18th century. The congregation was given permission to build its own church only in 1879. The church was destroyed during the Second World War – the only thing left is the belfry. The present worship house has 11 rooms. In 1854–1930 Gavriil Frolov lived in the worship house. He taught children icon-writing, reading and writing in Old-Slavic, also singing based on old musical notation.

  • Churches

St John’s Lutheran Church in Kanepi

St John’s Church is an eye-catching building; its architect was Friedrich Siegel. There is an altar painting Christ on the Cross (A. Bauer, 1857) and a pseudo-Gothic altar, and two nationally protected wooden candlesticks (1810) and an armchair from the birch wood dating from the 18th century. On top of the spire there is a morning star. Interesting to know: St John’s Church in Kanepi was built in 1804-1810 to replace the old wooden church. In 1831 the church was set on fire by lightning. The church in Kanepi has been in its current state since the year 1877.

  • Churches

Saatse Church

Saatse Church was completed in 1801. This congregation has been a mixed congregation of Setos and Russians. Saatse's biggest holiday is St. Paraskeva's Day (the last Friday in July.). Paraskeva means "Friday" in Greek. The church has "royal gates" from the old wooden church, and a 15th century stone cross. The only saint of Seto background is associated with the church: St. Stefanus, a former parish priest, who is depicted in icons in Seto folk costume. In 1919, Stefanus was shot along with Father Vassili, who was also declared a saint.

  • Churches

Värska Church

The patron saint of the Värska Orthodox Church is St. George. The most important church holiday is St. George's Day, which is celebrated in Setomaa on May 6 and culminates with the afternoon kirmaski, or village party. The church was built with money from the community, and the original iconostasis from the beginning of the 20th century has been preserved, part of which is an icon of St. George painted on a tree in the 17th century. The church also has several handmade holy shawls. Värska cemetery is next to the church, and several important Seto cultural figures are buried there.

  • Lookout towers
  • Churches
  • Ruins

Tartu Cathedral

The cathedral located on Tartu's Toome Hill is one of Estonia's most remarkable and largest medieval structures, and the only church with two towers. The church's construction began as early as the 13th century, when Tartu was an important bishopric. Construction work and additions continued into the early 16th century. During the Reformation, the cathedral was abandoned and, over time, turned into ruins. Nevertheless, these powerful walls and spacious vaults remain one of the most outstanding examples of brick Gothic architecture in Old Livonia, reflecting the scale and craftsmanship of medieval architecture. The University of Tartu Museum operates in the cathedral building, showcasing the history of science, university education, and the development of Tartu's academic spirit. It is possible to visit the cathedral towers, which offer one of the most beautiful views of Tartu and the Emajõgi Valley. Next to the towers is Toompood, where you can find gifts, science-themed souvenirs, and memorabilia with university symbols. In the evenings, a light installation adds a magical atmosphere.

  • Churches

Roman Catholic Church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

You are welcome to admire the Gothic red brick house of God (architect Wilhelm Schilling). The Church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the only Roman Catholic church in Tartu. The cornerstone was placed in 1862 and the church was consecrated in 1899. You will find the painting "Virgin Mary with Jesus" (1905) by Ernst Friedrich von Liphardt and a large crucifix carved of lime tree (1935) in the high-vaulted church.Interesting facts: - even Tsar Nicholas II donated 3000 roubles for the construction of the church in 1894 when Priest Friedrich Zhyskar started raising funds for building the church.

  • Churches

Äksi St. Andrew’s Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

This neo-Gothic church with its tall and slender tower is an integral part of the beautiful landscape of Vooremaa. The church has a spacious and stylish Historicist interior. The church is thought to have been built in 1770 and was reconstructed in 1889. A monument to the pastor and renowned linguist Otto Wilhelm Masing can be found in the Church Manor (1989).

  • Churches

Tartu Old Believers Prayer House of the Estonian Association of Old Believers Congregations

Tartu Old Believers Prayer House is a small and cosy house of God in the hall under the tower of a large and impressive prayer house destroyed by bombing during the war. This is the only part of the house the congregation has managed to restore by today. You can also see icons from the 19th century and the works of local 20th century icon painters in the Tartu Old Believers Prayer House.Service in Russian takes place at 10 a.m. on Sundays.

  • Collaboration
  • News
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
Join our mailing list!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
I authorise marketing

South Estonia Tourism Cluster

info@visitsouthestonia.com