• Explore
    • Nature
    • Culture
    • Food
    • Family
    • Activity
    • Blog
    Smoke sauna
    Weather and seasons
  • Plan
    • Accommodation
    • How to get here
    • Weather and seasons
    • Sustainability
    • Tourist info
    Discover South Estonia’s Most Beautiful Manors and Castles
    Top 20 Sights in South Estonia
  • For professionals
    • For professionals
    • Collaboration
    • News
    • Projects
    • Training
    • Repository
    • Community (opens in new tab)
    • Contacts
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
ENG
  • EnglishENG
  • EestiEST
  • LatviešuLAT
  • РусскийRUS
  • SuomiFIN
Popular searches:
Show all
  • History & Culture
  • Architecture and history
  • Churches

Kursi’s Sts. Mary and Elisabeth Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

Põltsamaa vald, Jõgeva maakond, 49007

Baroque architecture in concordance with pseudo Gothic architecture (alteration by Johann Gottfired Mühlhausen). Twelve small spiring pinnacles symbolise the twelve apostles of Jesus. The church manor is a historical parochial centre; there is a museum in the vicarage (built in 1817).

Amenities

  • Information boards
  • Free parking

Open times

Throughout the Year

Eeltellimsel

Contact

  • +372 58113195
  • kursi@eelk.ee

Links

See more

  • Churches

Memorial Tablet of the Northern Sons of Finland

A black granite memorial tablet bearing almost 200 names was installed on the wall of the Valga Jaani (St John’s) Church in 1934 in remembrance of the Finnish volunteers who fell in the Paju Battle of the War of Independence. The polar bear sign of the Northern Sons Regiment is shown on the shield above the stone. In 1940 the memorial tablet was demolished with pickaxes by the order of communists. The memorial tablet was reopened on the 80th anniversary of the Paju Battle in 1999.Interesting facts: * the memorial tablet was opened in 1934 by President Konstantin Päts; * the first table was made in Finland and the second one in Tartu; * donations for the second tablet were collected by Ylistaro Rural Municipality (Finland) at the initiative of Ossi Salo.

  • Churches

Pindi church in Lasva

Pindi Jaani (St. John's) church was built according to the plan by architect J. G. Mühlhausen. The church was consecrated in 1881. A massive tower stands In the western part of the rectangular church, the vestry is in the north-eastern part. The altarpiece is a copy of the one in Rõuge church, "Jesus on the cross" by Rudolf von zur Mühlen. The new organ built by the brothers Kriisa was consecrated in 1903.The grave and monument of Captain Friedrich Vreeman (1894–1919), who was killed in the Estonian War of Independence, are in the church cemetery. Service is held Sundays at 10.30.Useful information: Laine Villenthal, who was the first woman ordained as a minister in Estonia, served in Pindi church until 2004.

  • Churches

Miikse Church

The Miikse St. John the Baptist Church is a small wooden Orthodox church located in the southeastern corner of Estonia in Setomaa. What makes this church special is its story. It was built in 1953, during the Soviet era, when religion and church construction were not encouraged. However, the local people took a bold step and built the church themselves, often working in the evenings and at night to avoid the authorities' attention. Today, Miikse Church is once again a symbol of the strength and perseverance of the Seto community, where the local community restored the dilapidated sanctuary into a new and striking Seto church. The altar and icons were preserved, but the new facade features a lace-like pattern using Seto colors (red, blue, and sheep's wool white) and Seto belt patterns. The church's surroundings also include an old cemetery and sacred stones, which lend the place a special historical and spiritual atmosphere. The church is open once a month during service, and at other times, access can be arranged by agreement with the church elder (who communicates in Estonian and Russian). For a foreign-language tour of Setomaa, we recommend booking a local guide.

  • Churches

Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church: St. George’s Church in Laiuse

Laiuse Church was first mentioned in 1319. It was destroyed during the Livonian War, the Polish–Swedish War, and the Great Northern War, but it was re-built. The church, which originally was a hall-church with three naves and no tower, is built from local limestone and its corners are made from large limestone dry-stones. The tower, which was destroyed in World War II, was restored in 1970. The building was restored in 2000–2001.The church organises a lot of concerts and services are held every Sunday at 1 p.m.

  • Churches

St. Nicholas’ church, Põltsamaa

This Lutheran church, originally constructed on a bastion and the town's walls, was restored from its war-time ruins 50 years ago. Its altar, pulpit, lights and tower bells (XIX) are from the now defunct University of Tartu church.

  • Churches

Saatse Church

Saatse Church was completed in 1801. This congregation has been a mixed congregation of Setos and Russians. Saatse's biggest holiday is St. Paraskeva's Day (the last Friday in July.). Paraskeva means "Friday" in Greek. The church has "royal gates" from the old wooden church, and a 15th century stone cross. The only saint of Seto background is associated with the church: St. Stefanus, a former parish priest, who is depicted in icons in Seto folk costume. In 1919, Stefanus was shot along with Father Vassili, who was also declared a saint.

  • Churches

Tõrva Church – Chamber Hall

The Helme-Tõrva Apostolic Orthodox Church of the Birth of Christ was built in Valga Street in the years 1903 to 1904. Karl Shurin was in charge of the building work. The two domes and bell tower made the church one of the most imposing churches in the Viljandi Apostolic Orthodox Deanery. The church was seriously damaged during the fierce battles fought in September 1944 and it was only restored in 1990 as a chamber hall.Interesting facts: * the church was also used for salt and cement storage during the Soviet times; * the church-chamber hall currently belongs to the Lutheran church.

  • Churches

Tartu Saint George the Martyr Church of the Russian Apostolic Orthodox Church

An orthodox congregation was established in Tartu in 1845 and Priest Joosep Shestakovski (1856–1888) initiated the building of an orthodox church. Tartu Saint George the Martyr Church was built using donations from the congregation and it was consecrated in honour of Saint George by Bishop of Riga and Mitav Benjamin in 1870.

  • Collaboration
  • News
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
Join our mailing list!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
I authorise marketing

South Estonia Tourism Cluster

info@visitsouthestonia.com