• Открой
    • Еда
    • Природа
    • Культура
    • Семья
    • Спорт
    • Сообщество
    • Блог
    У Вас появились свободные выходные, чтобы провести с детьми? Здесь собраны лучшие места в Южной Эстонии для семейного отдыха
  • Планируй
    • Размещение
    • Информация
    • Varamu
    Sustainability
RUS
  • РусскийRUS
  • EestiEST
  • EnglishENG
  • LatviešuLAT
  • SuomiFIN
RUS
  • РусскийRUS
  • EestiEST
  • EnglishENG
  • LatviešuLAT
  • SuomiFIN
Populaarsed otsingud:
Näita kõiki tulemusi
  • History & Culture
  • Architecture and history
  • Lookout towers
  • Churches

St. John’s Church in Tartu

Jaani tn 5, Tartu linn, Tartu maakond, 51007

Tartu’s Gothic-style St. John’s Church dates back to the 14th century, making it one of the oldest churches in Estonia. It is known for its unique terracotta sculptures, which are considered rare in all of Europe.
The church once had over 1,000 handmade terracotta statues; about 200 have survived. Each sculpture is different, which has led to speculation that they may depict Tartu’s former inhabitants or other important people.
The tower of St. John’s Church offers a wonderful view of the entire historic old town of Tartu. It houses two bronze bells, called Peter and Paul.
On the last Sunday of every month, the church holds a service in English!

Mugavused

  • Paid parking
  • Souvenirs

Часы работы

1. jaan - 31. mai

T-L12:00 - 17:00

1. sept - 31. dets

T-L11:00 - 17:00

1. juuni - 31. aug

T-R10:00 - 17:00
L10:00 - 18:00

Контакты

  • +372 507 3712
  • tartu.jaani@eelk.ee

Ссылки

www.jaanikirik.ee

Подробнее

  • Churches

St Zachariah’s and St Elizabeth’s Orthodox Church in Räpina

St Zachariah’s and St Elizabeth’s Orthodox Church in Räpina is a neo-Classical oblong building consisting of three parts. In the Western part there is a bell tower and in the Eastern part a crescent-shaped apsis. A cupola with a tambour is in the middle of the building. The exterior of the building is in classical style, incorporating cornices and rustic work. Simple iconostasis of the 19th century catches the eye in the interior.

  • Churches

Ritsiku church in Mõniste

Of the Orthodox churches in Võru County, Ritsiku church in Mõniste is the second oldest (dating back to 1855). The oldest is St Catherine's Church in Võru itself.The church in Ritsiku was consecrated in the name of the prophet John the Baptist. Its name day is celebrated by the congregation every year on 24 June.The congregation was established in 1837. The church was constructed from timber and has a tin roof. It was originally known as Mõniste church, since it was located on the lands of the Mõniste estate. But since it was not in Mõniste itself, it was renamed Ritsiku church in Mõniste.The sacristan and parson did a lot of work in educating the local community. Until 1931 the congregation had its own parish school and three smaller schools.

  • Churches

Puhja St Dionysus Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

The medieval Gothic church is located on the ancient Pirita–Vastseliina pilgrim route. The white walls of the sanctuary are characterised by narrow and high round arched windows and beautiful relief motifs on the western façade.The organ used in Puhja Church is a rarity throughout Europe. It is estimated that only 10 other similar organs have survived. Those who wish can also go to see the spire or visit the church museum of Puhja parsonage.Good to know:The church participates in the Wayfarers Churches and the Night of Churches programmes.Worship every Sunday at 11 a.m. The church can also be visited by prior arrangement.

  • Churches

Saatse Church

Saatse Church was completed in 1801. This congregation has been a mixed congregation of Setos and Russians. Saatse's biggest holiday is St. Paraskeva's Day (the last Friday in July.). Paraskeva means "Friday" in Greek. The church has "royal gates" from the old wooden church, and a 15th century stone cross. The only saint of Seto background is associated with the church: St. Stefanus, a former parish priest, who is depicted in icons in Seto folk costume. In 1919, Stefanus was shot along with Father Vassili, who was also declared a saint.

  • Churches

Roman Catholic Church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

You are welcome to admire the Gothic red brick house of God (architect Wilhelm Schilling). The Church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the only Roman Catholic church in Tartu. The cornerstone was placed in 1862 and the church was consecrated in 1899. You will find the painting "Virgin Mary with Jesus" (1905) by Ernst Friedrich von Liphardt and a large crucifix carved of lime tree (1935) in the high-vaulted church.Interesting facts: - even Tsar Nicholas II donated 3000 roubles for the construction of the church in 1894 when Priest Friedrich Zhyskar started raising funds for building the church.

  • Churches

The Liphardt tomb chapel

The Vastseliina manor chapel, popularly called the Liphardt tomb chapel, is situated in the old cemetery of Vastseliina (also known as the German cemetery). The chapel was completed in the same year as the current Vastseliina church, in 1772.The Liphardts, one of the wealthiest noble families of Livonia, governed the entire Vastseliina parish from Misso to Orava and ruled Vastseliina for seven generations. In addition to Vastseliina, the family also owned several other manors, including the Raadi manor.The Vastseliina manor chapel is one of the most remarkable examples of early classicist rural chapels.Visitors are welcome to see the exterior of the chapel only.

  • Churches

Tartu St Alexander’s Church of the Estonian Apostolic Orthodox Church

Come and take a look at the two-storey St Alexander’s Church in Tartu with its onion domes inspired by old Russian church architecture (architect Vladimir Lunski). Construction of the church started in 1914 and it was re-consecrated in 2003. Interesting facts: - a zinc box with the remains of a saint and a copper plate with a letter have been placed in the cornerstone of Tartu Alexander’s Church. The cornerstone was put in place by Archbishop Ioann during the reign of Emperor Nicholas II on 27 May 1914; - the church was nationalised in 1940 and it was used as a storage building by the University of Tartu and the Estonian National Museum.

  • Churches

Memorial Tablet of the Northern Sons of Finland

A black granite memorial tablet bearing almost 200 names was installed on the wall of the Valga Jaani (St John’s) Church in 1934 in remembrance of the Finnish volunteers who fell in the Paju Battle of the War of Independence. The polar bear sign of the Northern Sons Regiment is shown on the shield above the stone. In 1940 the memorial tablet was demolished with pickaxes by the order of communists. The memorial tablet was reopened on the 80th anniversary of the Paju Battle in 1999.Interesting facts: * the memorial tablet was opened in 1934 by President Konstantin Päts; * the first table was made in Finland and the second one in Tartu; * donations for the second tablet were collected by Ylistaro Rural Municipality (Finland) at the initiative of Ossi Salo.

  • Privacy Policy

"*"обозначает обязательные поля

Это поле используется для проверочных целей, его следует оставить без изменений.
Я разрешаю маркетинг