The mausoleum of Barclay de Tolly

de Tolly mausoleum

The final resting place of the great Russian military leader

You have reached Jõgeveste, the place Prince Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly considered his home. Field Marshal de Tolly is one of the best-known people associated with Estonia, and is probably the greatest Russian military leader to have his remains buried in Estonia. Belonging to the Baltic nobility and having Scottish roots, de Tolly played an important role in battles against Napoleon from 1812 to 1814.

Barclay de Tolly’s connection with Jõgeveste began in 1791 when he married Helene Auguste Eleanore von Smitten. Through marriage, he acquired Jõgeveste Manor.

The famous army leader died near Insterburg in East Prussia. His ashes were brought to Jõgeveste, but his heart was reportedly buried where he fell.

In 1823, the widow of Barclay de Tolly had the mausoleum built in honour of her late husband. The designer of the classical building is one of the best-known Russian architects Apollon Štšedrin; the grave monument was designed by sculptor Vassili Demut-Malinoski. Today, the original sarcophagi of both Prince Barclay de Tolly and his wife can be seen in the mausoleum.

According to legend, the Russian tsar wanted to bury Barclay de Tolly in St. Petersburg, but the wife of the prince honoured the wishes of her late husband and had him buried in Jõgeveste. It has also been said that during World War II there were battles fought near Jõgeveste, but the mausoleum was left intact out of respect for the famous field marshal from both sides.